Note: There are no steam train services on 22nd and 25th November 2017.
Step back in time to the 1950’s when steam trains were the way to travel....
If you are interested in visiting Greenway House and Garden, you can now arrive by steam train (and shuttle bus should you prefer not to walk)! Just board our steam train at Paignton or Kingswear and catch the bus connection at Churston or at the Halt. Purchase your ticket from our booking office or kiosk and see below for the timetable.
Sitting on the banks of the beautiful River Dart with simply stunning views, Greenway House and Garden is run by The National Trust. Formerly the holiday home of Agatha Christie and her family, it holds the family collection of the famous author. The gardens are home to over 2,700 species of trees and woody plants which are just waiting to be discovered.
Things you need to know before your visit
- A beautiful 30-minute woodland walk from the station platform will take you to Greenway House and Garden. The walk through the wood is sloped and you will need walking footwear (muddy in places if wet!). Click here for a map of the walk. Please note: the woodland walk is not suitable for buggies or wheelchairs.
- On busy days a timed ticket system is in operation for access to the house
- The grounds have steep slopes and narrow paths, making it partly accessible
- Allow 3 hours to gain the most from your visit
- Ensure you are at Greenway Halt 10-15 minutes before your train departure. You will need to press the button (once) on the platform which in turn ensures a signal on the track alerts the train crews that you are waiting for the train.
Timetable image below. Click on the image to download the leaflet. Scroll down for our tour map.
**Please note the shuttle bus will not be in operation on 7th & 8th June 2017.**