Built December 1920 in Swindon. Withdrawn British Railways 1964
This class of locomotive was designed for use on heavy coal trains in the Welsh valleys, although two of the class were allocated to St. Blazey in Cornwall for china clay traffic.4277 was based at Aberbeeg for most of its working life being withdrawn from there in 1964 and sent to Barry scrapyard. For 22 years 4277 lay rusting in Barry scrapyard near Cardiff until it was rescued in June 1986 and restored to full working order in private ownership.It has been used on many heritage railways around the country since then.The PDSR bought the loco in 2008 after a major overhaul from its original owner for exclusive use on the railway.4277 is the sister of another of our locos, 5239 Goliath.
Designer G J Churchward Driving Wheels 4' 7½" Pony Wheels 3' 2" Length 40' 9" Weight 82 tons, 2 cwt Tank Capacity 1,800 gallons Cylinders 18.5" x 30" Boiler Pressure 200psi Coal Capacity 4 tons
Built December 1950 in Swindon. Withdrawn British Railways 1965
The 'Manors' were the smallest and lightest of the Great Western Railway's 4-6-0 and were built for use on secondary lines such as the North Wales Cambrian Coast. The original design for the Manors was made in 1938, but there was an order for ten more to be built in 1950. 7827 is an example of the later batch and, though un-mistakably a GWR 4-6-0, it is actually a British Railways locomotive.
In 1966 Lydham went to Woodhams yard in Barry and was rescued in 1970 and went to Newton Abbot for restoration. 7827 made a return to service in 1973, ready for the first main season of the then Torbay Steam Railway, now the Dartmouth Steam Railway & River Boat Company.
Lydham's claim to fame is that it once hauled the royal train in the late 1950's, with its sister, 7828 Odney Manor.
Designer G J Churchward Driving Wheels 5' 8" Pony Wheels NA Length 61' 9¼" Weight 108 tons, 18 cwt Tank Capacity 3,500 gallons Cylinders 18" x 30" Boiler Pressure 225psi Coal Capacity 3 tons, 14 cwt
Built August 1924 in Swindon
Withdrawn British Railways 1963
This class of locomotive was designed for use on heavy coal trains in the Welsh valleys, although two of the class were allocated to St Blazey in Cornwall for china clay traffic. 5239 was based at Neath for all of its working life being withdrawn from there in 1963 and sent to Barry scrap yard.
Rescued by the Dart Valley Railway, it arrived at Newton Abbot in June 1973 where most of the restoration work was carried out. In June 1976 it was transferred to Paignton for completion, entering traffic in 1978.
Designer C B Collett Driving Wheels 4' 7½" Pony Wheels 3' 2" Length 40' 9" Weight 82 tons, 2 cwt Tank Capacity 1,800 gallons Cylinders (2) 19" x 30" Boiler Pressure 200psi Coal Capacity 4 tons
Built December 1951 in Swindon. Withdrawn British Railways 1966
The British Railway 4-6-0 standard class 4 was built for use on the Western, Midland and Southern regions of the recently nationalised rail network. They were extremely versatile mixed traffic locos, frequently used on passenger duties.
75014 was allocated to a number of Midland region sheds during its short life and 1964 saw it allocated to Shrewsbury from where it was withdrawn and sent to Barry scrap yard in December 1966. In Barry scrap yard for fourteen years, it rotted and donated parts to other locos, until it was bought as a wreck in 1981. A four man syndicate based on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway brought it back to steam in 1994. The syndicate decided to sell the loco in 2002 and the Dartmouth Steam Railway & River Boat Company were fortunate to become the new owners.
For four consecutive years, 1995-98, it was the mainstay of the "Jacobite" tourist train from Fort William. After a missing a year it returned in 2000 when it was named Braveheart, in recognition of the Mel Gibson film, which was shot in the West Highlands. The boiler is currently being overhauled
Designer R A Riddles Driving Wheels 5' 8" Length 50' Weight 111 tons, 3 cwt Tank Capacity 3,500 gallons Cylinders 18" x 28" Boiler Pressure 225psi Coal Capacity 6 tons
Built in 1962 for British Rail.
The class 25 diesels were designed for freight work but a large number were fitted with steam heating boilers, allowing them to be used on passenger trains all year. Throughout the 70's they could be found at work across the whole of the British Rail network, but the changing face of the rail system in the 1980's made them surplus to needs. The last of its class was withdrawn from service in March 1987.
D7535 was withdrawn from service during the early 80's and was put into storage at Toton, near Nottingham, where it was used to educate and train apprentices for all aspects of loco maintenance. This meant that when it was put up for disposal it was in excellent order when it arrived here in the mid 80's. Being used mostly during the winter months on engineering trains and stock movements, it is also used for special events and emergency cover during the running season.
Driving Wheels 3' 9" Length 50' 6" Weight 71 tons Engine Power 1250 bhp Engine Sulzer 6LDA28-B Transmission Diesel Electric